Whether you are in a product or service business, if you don’t innovate, eventually you will disappear from the marketplace. Competition is intensifying and most companies are fighting to retain their market positions and customer loyalty, making innovation a ‘must have’, just to stay in business! To survive, flourish and flow with the challenges of the 21st century, the most pressing opportunity is to make innovation a critical part of the way you evolve, define, lead and operate your business enterprise. If you want to succeed and grow your business further, you will need to develop and incorporate a strategic focus on creativity and innovation. By working towards developing people’s capability in the art of provocative competence. This encapsulates an innovative way of thinking, doing and be-ing that engages harnesses and maximizes imagination, creativity and potential for innovation from your most costly and valuable resource, your people.
At ImagineNation™ we teach and enable executive coaches, leaders, teams and organisations to be provocatively competent. We enable them to facilitate intentional disruptions that safely open people’s minds and hearts in ways that rock the boat, expose the elephant’s and sacred cows in an organisation. This creates the space for organisations to see, identify and solve the real generative challenges in the way of current and/or future success.
Developing discomfort resilience
People become aware of, and move away from their comfort zones, habitual mindsets, behaviours, positions, and repetitive patterns and develop their discomfort resilience. They learn how to be agile and playful, to improvise, create and generate innovative ideas and solutions in the emergence space.
Developing the art of provocative competence enables you, your teams and your organisation to:
- Safely awaken people out of their comfortable myopia, cultivate creativity and ignite their entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial spirits.
- Identify and let go of unprofitable products and services.
- Spot, experiment and develop new products and services that customers need and want.
- Derive increased revenue from breakthrough vale adding products and services.
- Attain a competitive advantage from unexpected and trending business development ideas and opportunities.
- Reap greater rewards from improved process and system efficiencies.
We acknowledge that organisational cultures evolve and develop and cannot be transformed, and that there are no best or bad cultures.
At ImagineNation™ we work with “what is” and plan to flip any negative energy into its most positive manifestation for the benefit of the organisation. We also acknowledge that every organisational culture has its own unique set of core characteristics and strengths that can be developed and leveraged to deliver innovative organisational outcomes.
To create an innovative culture where the art of provocative competence becomes part of the we do things around here follow these key steps:
1. Define the generative and provocative nature of the key challenges the organisation is facing or likely to face by developing:
- Creating openings through retreat and reflection processes; to initiate new perspectives as to how the challenge can ultimately be resolved and transformed into an innovative opportunity.
- Generative Challenge Skills; how to deconstruct issues by taking a whole systems perspective, considering global competition, instability and uncertainty, product and market analysis, cost /benefit analysis.
2. Encourage people to be curious, question and challenge the status quo and rock the boat and expose the elephants and sacred cows by enabling and rewarding new ways that challenge the process:
- Giving permission for, and creating provocative creative conversations; that maximise creativity and diversity, encourage deviance and are intentionally disruptive, focussing also on identifying possibilities and removing the key structural barriers and obstacles that get in the way of effecting change.
3. Develop organisational capability to be provocative by developing:
- Generative Inquiry Skills; how to deeply attend, listen, question, inquire and constructively debate to achieve high levels or meta thinking to generate imaginative and creative ideas and unexpected solutions.
- Creative ‘right hand turns’ or inflection points; that transform the generative challenge into an innovative opportunity.
4. Engage people’s hearts and minds by crystallizing a provocative vision and a passionate purpose for innovation.
5. Accept that failure is a natural part of doing business, allow people to fail small, fast and cheaply to create the safe space for mitigating risk by encouraging and supporting:
- New learning opportunities through experimentation and prototyping.
What are the possibilities?
The outcomes include an increased capacity to:
- Make effective entrepreneurial and business decisions to develop, stay or exit the market.
- Stretch the boundaries of the business strategy and facilitate business regeneration and renewal.
- An accelerated change to get to the future faster.
- ‘Change the game’ and surprise key players with unconventional solutions and realization of hidden and future opportunities.
- Facilitate a creativity, a collective focus and competitive advantage.
To ultimately thrive and succeed within an unstable and uncertain business environment with innovative products, models, systems, processes and services that customers need and want and that ensure profitability, sustainability and market leadership.
At ImagineNation™ we provide innovation coaching, education and culture consulting to help businesses achieve their innovation goals. Because we have done most of the learning and actioning of new hybrid mindsets, behaviors and skill-sets already, we can help your businesses also do this by opening people up to their innovation potential.